The Dorsey Law Firm
February 28, 2019
The United States has the sixth highest divorce rate in the world – although dropping, that is a significant rate. In the state of Florida, all that is necessary for a divorce is to prove that the marriage is irretrievably broken. The divorce process isn’t cheap, so more people have opted to self-represent and file for divorce without a lawyer. However, if there are children, assets, financial concerns, and disagreements in your marriage, it is probably in a married couple’s best interest to hire an attorney and get representation from a professional. The divorce process isn’t always easy to navigate – there’s a lot of paperwork, filings, and dates to remember. A divorce attorney’s job is to help make everything clear and easy-to-understand for the client while representing them to get them the best deal possible through the divorce process. As a Jacksonville divorce attorney, with more than 35 years of experience in the state of Florida, our team at Dorsey Law Firm wanted to share a few reasons why hiring an attorney for your divorce proceedings is your best bet.
Why Should I Hire a Divorce Attorney?
- Divorce attorneys are experts – The average person doesn’t know much (or anything) about marital or family law, especially when laws can change year to year. Some divorces are more complicated than others and attorneys know how to sort everything out and put a case together. Attorneys know what to present to the judge and how to prepare thoroughly and correctly for a case and trial.
- Divorce attorneys know all scenarios – When you meet with an attorney, he/she will discuss your options and possible outcomes depending on your unique situation (assets, children, savings, debt, etc.) Due to experience, an attorney will let the client know whether he/she should fight, counter, or settle. Divorce attorneys will suggest things clients often didn’t know existed.
- Divorce attorneys know the paperwork – From experience, a divorce attorney knows what documents are needed to be filed and presented. He/she knows what information cannot be left out or overlooked, which could lead to a judge not ruling in the client’s favor. This attorney knows how to craft and collect information and paperwork, so the judge views his/her client favorably.
- Divorce attorneys know deadlines – They know when certain items are due, and make their clients stick to a timeline, so the court does not delay a ruling.
- Divorce attorneys see the big picture – Unlike either party in the couple, the attorney isn’t emotionally involved in the divorce. He/she can help his client not dwell on little things and keep their eye on their goals. The attorney is fighting for his/her client with a level head. Being a third party, an attorney also offers objective advice and help.
- Divorce attorneys can help clients reduce stress – When people use an attorney, he/she does not need to worry about focusing on paperwork, logistics, legal terms, dates, etc. He/she can focus and spend time on life changes post-divorce.
Looking for a Divorce Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL?
Divorce attorneys are there to help people save time, lessen stress, and increase their odds at a favorable outcome. Divorce attorneys know the law and keep a clear head during this emotional time for the couple. A lawyer can help a client make better decisions for their future. Many couples are grateful for a lawyer who can guide them through the process – this is far less overwhelming. By hiring a divorce attorney, you’re laying the groundwork for a better result, especially if your divorce is complicated. William J. Dorsey founded the Dorsey Law Firm in 1975 and has practiced family law and tried numerous trials throughout Florida in state and federal courts. Dorsey and his team work with clients every step of the divorce process. To request your in-person consultation at The Dorsey Law Firm’s Jacksonville Law Office, call 904-346-3883 or click our Jacksonville Divorce Attorney page for more information.
Dorsey Law Jax © 2019 - All Rights Reserved