Children and Shared Parental Responsibility

Florida law requires the court to order shared parental responsibility by both parents of their children, unless the court finds shared parental responsibility would be detrimental to the children in which case the court may award sole parental responsibility to one of the parents.  In ordering shared parental responsibility, the court may grant one party the ultimate responsibility over specific aspects of the children’s welfare or may divide these responsibilities between the parties based upon the best interests of the children.  The areas of responsibility may include education, health care and other responsibilities the court finds unique to a particular family.  Shared parental responsibility includes access to records and information pertaining to the children including, but not limited to their medical, dental and school records.  Shared parental responsibility requires both parties to share information and decision making regarding the children’s best interest and welfare.  Shared parental responsibility encourages each parent to foster love and affection between the children and the other parent.  Shared parental responsibility is not shared custody.

Florida no longer uses the term(s) custody, primary care, primary residential care, or other such designations of custody.  Instead, the law refers to timesharing, shared parenting and requires a parenting plan.  The parenting plan must be approved by the court.  At a minimum, the parenting plan must describe in detail how the parents will share and be responsible for the daily tasks associated with upbringing the children; the timesharing schedule arrangements that specify the time the children will spend with each parent; a designation of which parent will be responsible for any and all forms of health care, school related matters, including the address to be used for school boundary determination and registration and other activities and methods and technologies the parents will use to communicate with the children.

The parenting plan may be agreed to by the parties or determined by the court.  The court may appoint an expert such as a psychologist to develop a parenting plan recommendation which the court may consider in establishing a parenting plan.

To request your in-person consultation at our Jacksonville Law Office, please call us today at (904) 346-3883.

The Dorsey Law Firm has practiced Family Law in Jacksonville for over 35 years. Our firm has represented clients in front of nearly every judge in Duval, Clay, St. Johns, and Nassau Counties, and has tried cases throughout the entire State of Florida.

William Dorsey Rel=Author Tag


Need an Attorney? Start Here.




Your Message

*required field

10752 Deerwood Park Blvd. Suite 100, Jacksonville, Florida 32256 (Duval Co.)

P: 904-394-2865 | F: 904-358-8060 | Email: Dorsey Law Firm

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Dorsey Law Jax © 2020 - All Rights Reserved

COVID-19 Update


As the situation around COVID-19 continues to evolve, we will remain open until further notice. As always, the well-being of our clients and staff remains our highest priority, therefore we have taken precautions recommended by global and local public health authorities to reduce the spread of COVID-19.


— We have encouraged our staff to practice social distancing by reducing physical contact with others to ensure we can continue to work for our clients.
— Requiring all client meetings and consultations to be conducted virtually.
— We are happy to have meetings with you via phone, online conferencing, as well as through email.
— Our team will continue to fulfill court obligations with the new methods required by the courts as they remain open telephonically.


If you’re in immediate need, including any family law, criminal law, or personal injury matter, don’t hesitate to contact us with questions.


Chat with an Attorney  |  Call us with Questions