February 13, 2013

My Husband Won’t Pay Alimony. What Do I Do?

Article By: William Dorsey
Contact Us With Your Divorce and Alimony Law Questions.

The terms of alimony payments from a husband to his wife, in a divorce proceeding, may be arrived at through two ways. Either you and your ex-spouse agreed to an amount and term (duration) of alimony, or the court decided how much you will receive and for how long. Either way, the terms of alimony are included as part of the final order of divorce. This means that your ex-spouse is legally bound to keep making his alimony payments to you until the term expires (in cases of limited-duration alimony,) or until a court modifies the terms of alimony to relieve him of his obligation to pay.

If your ex-spouse is not paying, your primary option, assuming you cannot resolve the impasse between yourselves, is to return to court. An ex-spouse entitled to receive alimony, but not receiving his/her payments, may ask a court to hold their ex-spouse in contempt of court, or request that the court order the ex-spouse to show cause why he/she should not be held in contempt.

Courts typically hold a hearing to determine if a contempt citation is appropriate. At the hearing, you have the burden of proving to the court that a valid alimony award order exists and that your ex-spouse is not compliant with that order. Once you successfully make this showing, the court will require your ex-spouse to try to show why he/she should not be held in contempt of court. If the court finds your ex-spouse in contempt, it has a wide range of options, including incarcerating your ex-spouse as punishment. If the court jails your ex-spouse for civil contempt, the judge will decide on an amount which, if ex-spouse pays, will “purge” his contempt and get him out of jail. The court also may find your ex-spouse in indirect criminal contempt and issue a jail term without a “purge amount.” For this punishment, though, the court must find that he/she had the money to pay the alimony but willfully or intentionally chose not to pay.

Less extreme means also exist. The court may suspend your ex-spouse’s driver’s license and/or any professional licenses he/she may hold (such as a medical license, law license or insurance license.) If the court decides your ex-spouse lacks sufficient assets to pay his past-due alimony, but your ex-spouse is employed, the court may order his/her employer to garnish his/her wages. Other tools include denying your ex-spouse a passport, ordering offsets against his/her federal and state tax refunds, and attachment and garnishment of his/her financial accounts, which includes his/her IRAs.

Furthermore, you may ask the court to reduce the back-owed alimony to a money judgment. Once the court grants this request, you may file the judgment in any county where your ex-spouse owns property. This creates a judgment lien against the property, and your ex-spouse cannot sell or transfer that property until he/she pays the alimony debt. You can also seek a writ of execution. This allows a sheriff to seize property your ex-spouse owns in that county and sell it at a sheriff’s sale, with you receiving the proceeds from the sale.

Contact us today for your Alimony or Divorce Consultation


Need an Attorney? Start Here.




Your Message

*required field

10752 Deerwood Park Blvd. Suite 100, Jacksonville, Florida 32256 (Duval Co.)

P: 904-394-2865 | F: 904-358-8060 | Email: Dorsey Law Firm

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

Dorsey Law Jax © 2020 - All Rights Reserved

COVID-19 Update


As the situation around COVID-19 continues to evolve, we will remain open until further notice. As always, the well-being of our clients and staff remains our highest priority, therefore we have taken precautions recommended by global and local public health authorities to reduce the spread of COVID-19.


— We have encouraged our staff to practice social distancing by reducing physical contact with others to ensure we can continue to work for our clients.
— Requiring all client meetings and consultations to be conducted virtually.
— We are happy to have meetings with you via phone, online conferencing, as well as through email.
— Our team will continue to fulfill court obligations with the new methods required by the courts as they remain open telephonically.


If you’re in immediate need, including any family law, criminal law, or personal injury matter, don’t hesitate to contact us with questions.


Chat with an Attorney  |  Call us with Questions