February 28, 2020
For the most part, whether we go through it ourselves or not, we all know divorce isn’t a happy time or easy process, although it can lead many couples to greener pastures.
Divorce can be a complicated, messy process, especially if you and your spouse are not getting along and there are children and assets involved.
As a couple enters the divorce process, there’s a lot they are going to learn that they have never been told before.
As a Jacksonville divorce attorney, with more than 35 years of experience in the state of Florida, our team at Dorsey Law Firm wanted to let you in on a few things about divorce that no one really talks about.
- Divorces can drag on and be a very long process. Some divorce processes can last over a year. If you and your spouse can work out a lot before the process begins, the process will go a lot faster.
- The divorce process can go well beyond the day the divorce decree is issued due to circumstances regarding child support.
- You may need court involvement even if you and your spouse agree on everything. Certain issues, like the splitting of retirement, needs a judge’s approval even if there is no dispute.
- It’s in your best interest to come to an agreement with your spouse in order to save yourself a lot of time, money, and heartache.
- Don’t go in thinking there’s a “winner” to a divorce case, as there is seldom a winner. Most couples do not end up with everything they want.
- Resist the urge to make quick decisions to make the case shorter.
- Every divorce process is different, so don’t go into yours thinking it will be like those you know who have gone through the process.
- Listen to your attorney who knows all the details of your situation to understand what your process will be like.
- Be honest with your attorney and your spouse so your case can be properly analyzed and managed. Hidden things won’t necessarily stay hidden.
- Make copies of important documents, like a prenup, as you start the divorce process.
- Go into the divorce process with reasonable expectations. Listen to your attorney to learn how the law applies to your case and what the potential outcomes are.
Need a Divorce Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL?
This may be your first divorce, but it’s not ours. William J. Dorsey is a practiced divorce attorney and understands each divorce case is unique. Dorsey knows Florida divorce law and how to apply it to get his clients the best possible outcome. He guides his clients through the entire process.
If you are considering divorce, our team would be happy to help you learn more about the divorce process in Florida. We know this is an emotional time for you, and we promise to keep a clear head during this emotional time to get you through the process. By hiring a divorce attorney, you’re laying the groundwork for a better result, especially if your divorce is complicated.
William J. Dorsey founded the Dorsey Law Firm in 1975 and has practiced family law and tried numerous trials throughout Florida in state and federal courts. Dorsey and his team take time to work with clients every step of the divorce process.
To request your in-person consultation at The Dorsey Law Firm’s Jacksonville Law Office or if you have any questions, call 904-346-3883 or click our Jacksonville Divorce Attorney page for more information.