September 29, 2020
Divorce is one of the most life-alternating changes a person can go through. From your daily routine to finances, a recently divorced person will have to learn a new normal.
Divorce can be stressful, and emotional. Many divorced couples go through a grieving process, and healing from it can be painful and take time. Divorce can feel like sadness, disappointment, anger, pain, and failure.
During and after a divorce, it’s important to address the emotional and mental impacts one is going through. In order to work through and recover from a divorce, one must deal with their emotions and thoughts head on to fully move on and be happy again.
A life change (that you didn’t ask for or expected) can hurt your heart and head, and it should be dealt with like you’d treat any other physical pain. You must work on your emotions every day to get results.
Here are some tips that can help you recover from a divorce:
- Admit that you are hurting. Once you admit this to yourself, you can start the process of healing as you are not in denial anymore. You will now be able to open up and express your feelings in this post-divorce journey. It’s OK to not be OK.
- Feel all your feelings. You must go through and experience all your feelings to cope in healthy ways.
- Take care of yourself. You are important and deserve to be cared for. If you develop a simple routine, you will start to feel better and be more motivated in life.
- Do things you love. Now that you are on your own, do the things you’ve always wanted to do that you never had time for or that your ex-spouse never wanted to do. You will find joy/peace in experiencing things and activities that interest you.
- Create a good support system. Whether it’s family members, friends, or a therapist, surround yourself with people who will truly support you during this time. Keep around quality people who make you feel good and offer quality help and advice.
- Get professional help. There is no shame in talking to a life coach or therapist to help you grieve, move on, and grow. We all need help sometimes and a therapist is a great tool to help you look at your life and work on goals.
- Focus on personal growth. Like stated before, now is a great time to do the things you love. It’s also a great time to learn a new hobby or skills and find ways to improve yourself. By focusing on personal growth, you will learn about yourself and what type of partner you should look for in the future.
- Give yourself time to grieve. Spend enough time grieving so you can get to a healthy spot where you can be your best self. Grieving is a helpful process as it helps you work through a lot of things. Try not to rush into a new relationship or fall back into bad habits right away as this won’t heal the problem but just mask it.
- Be thankful. During and post a divorce, you may find it hard to be grateful for things in life; however, you have so much to be thankful for like accomplishments, children, etc. Try to focus on the positives and good things in your life and the opportunities that are ahead.
Need a Divorce Lawyer in Jacksonville, FL?
Working your way through a divorce and moving on is a process. Be kind, compassionate and gentle to yourself. Divorce may be the end of a relationship, but it is the beginning of a new chapter in your life. It’s time for you to choose to move forward and stop living in the past.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help after your divorce, whether from a friend, family member, therapist, fellow divorced people, or a divorce attorney.
If you are going through a divorce and need legal help, talk to an experienced family law attorney.
William J. Dorsey is a divorce attorney and understands each divorce case is unique. Give us a call and we can help you through the entire divorce process.
As a Jacksonville divorce attorney, with more than 35 years of experience in the state of Florida, Dorsey knows Florida divorce law and how to apply it to get his clients the best possible outcome. He guides his clients through the entire process.
If you are considering divorce, our team would be happy to help you learn more about the divorce process in Florida. By hiring a divorce attorney, you’re laying the groundwork for a better result, especially if your divorce is complicated.
William J. Dorsey founded the Dorsey Law Firm in 1975 and has practiced family law and tried numerous trials throughout Florida in state and federal courts.
To request your in-person consultation at The Dorsey Law Firm’s Jacksonville Law Office or if you have any questions, call 904-346-3883 or click our Jacksonville Divorce Attorney page for more information.